We are committed to providing you with the highest quality service. This includes maintaining your privacy and protecting your personal data. This policy, read together with our Terms of Service, explains what we and group companies do with the personal data we collect about you. We will tell you which companies are in our group upon request. Our contact details are at the end of this policy. To get the best from our services, please keep your personal data (including your email address) accurate and up to date. You can do this by contacting us at the address or telephone number given at the end of this policy or by logging into our secure website and selecting: account > personal details & preferences > Update your Contact Details.
Please take the time to read this policy carefully. In opening an account with us you consent to our use of your personal data in accordance with the Terms of Service and this policy.
Information that identifies a living individual is known as "personal data." All organisations processing personal data must do so fairly and lawfully. They must also be registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office, the UK’s independent body set up to uphold information rights. If you wish, you can view a copy of our data protection notification by visiting the Information Commissioner's website. We treat all of our legal obligations seriously and take all steps necessary to ensure compliance when storing and processing your personal data.
2: What personal data do we collect about you and how?
We will only hold your personal data once you have been made aware of our reasons and arrangements for processing your details and your registration with our services has been completed.
We collect your personal data in a number of different ways, including the following:
- if you provide it when communicating with us (for example when registering for our services);
- if you order any of our products or services;
- if you enter a competition or promotion;
- if you make payments or modify your account details; and
- when you visit our websites (for example by cookies and other browser-generated information).
3: How do we use your personal data?
We will access and disclose your personal data if we are required to do so by law (or if we reasonably believe we are required to do so by law), and to the extent it is necessary for the proper operation of our systems, to protect us/our customers, or for the enforcement of our Customer Terms of Service.
We retain and use your personal data for the following main purposes:
- processing applications made by you, running your accounts, providing our services, contacting you and servicing our relationship with you; administration and accounting, billing and auditing and other legal purposes;
- security, payment verification, preventing and detecting money laundering, fraud and other crime, insurance, credit assessment and administration, tracing debtors and recovering debt. For these purposes, we may also pass on your personal data to third parties;
- generating statistics on our users, such as the popularity of certain of our services, about the "traffic" visiting our websites. Before doing this your personal data is anonymised and you are not personally identifiable; and
- disclosing your personal data within our group or to any of our agents, including data processors, in the United States of America or Canada or other jurisdictions in or outside the European Economic Area who may only use it for the same purposes as us.
We will use your personal data to keep you informed about relevant products and services which we determine may be of interest to you, unless you have asked us not to do so. We may contact you by telephone (including automated calls), post, email and other electronic messages such as short text, video and picture messaging, and fax, with information, news, events and seminars on our services and those of other selected partners. Please click here for details of our products and services.
We may also pass your personal data to companies in our group and selected partners for them to contact you about their products and services in the same ways. You can ask us at any time to stop sending you this information by writing to us at the address at the end of this policy. Please remember that even if you have requested this, we will still contact you about the running of your existing account and for the services requested from us.
4: Safeguarding your personal data
We take all reasonable care in the collection, storage, processing and disclosure of your personal data and have implemented internal security procedures so as to minimise the risk that unauthorised parties will be able to access and misuse the information. It is because of these security procedures that we may ask for proof of identity before we disclose any personal information about you.
The Internet is an open medium and we cannot guarantee that any information you send to us by email or via our website will not be intercepted or tampered with. To help protect your personal data and minimise the risk of it being intercepted by unauthorised third parties our secure servers employ industry standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) or Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption when you submit information to us through our website. This security is signified by the "https" and the padlock on the URL bar. Some older browsers do not allow the use of current SSL technology and we therefore recommend that you use an up to date browser for example Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 or above.
You can also help to protect your personal data, by following the guidelines below:
- choose a password that you will be able to remember but that would be hard for someone to guess. Ideally it should include special characters (such as "?" or "#" for example) and numbers. We recommend that you change it regularly and if you need to write it down, always keep it in a safe place;
- make sure that no-one can see the details you are entering when you log-in;
- if other people have access to your computer, remember to close your browser each time you log-off and end your session and, if possible, clear any history of the websites you have visited and that your browser may have saved or "cached"; and
- never disclose your account details to anyone.
For more information and top tips please click here.
6: Sale of the business
In the event that the we are sold (fully or partially), integrated with another business, or dispose of our rights and obligations under any agreement with you, your records may be disclosed under appropriate confidentiality terms to our advisers and any prospective purchasers' adviser, and will be passed onto the new owners.
7: Contacting us
You are entitled to a copy of the personal data we hold about you on payment of a small administration fee. If you would like to see this information, please write to the address below.
Data Protection Officer
Or, if your query is about your TD Bank N.V. Savings account you should write to:
TD Bank N.V.
1077 XX Amsterdam,
If you have any queries about this policy, any of the Terms of Service or the website in general, do not hesitate to contact us:
Customer Service Manager
Tel: 0345 607 6001